Saturday, August 24, 2013

Smart: The new Sexy - - - Model Approved


I have to be painfully honest

Not too long ago, I asked a young woman what her goal was. She replied that she wanted to be fit and hot like me. Not only did I take a step back in shock, but I also remembered that it was not the first time I had heard someone tell me that was their goal in life.

Majoring in Sociology, I have learned a lot about how human interactions affect our decisions as a whole populace. I have seen demographics and cultures separate people because of their comfort zone and familiarity. I have studied the difference between men and women, specifically how both men and women react differently to situations.

In modeling, I have learned to do something similar. I have learned to adapt my look according to the casting call. I have been Caucasian, Brazilian, Latina, Spaniard, but never just myself, just Evina. I have dyed my hair blonde, gotten bigger boobs, and worked out endlessly at the gym over a period of years. I have learned to act like a Chicana with my Latin rooted family, but when I am around my boyfriend's family, I am no different than your pure bread Northridge Valley-Girl. As a model I have learned how to mimic my surroundings to be more approachable and accepted in either a current gig or future events. I probably wouldnt know how to do that just being fit and hot”… at least I wouldnt still have a career in modeling if I lived off my looks alone - without understanding how to adapt.

I responded to this young teenager very simply, From what I understand, being fit and hot are temporary fixes to an inner problem. What about getting an education? I hear that being smart is the new Sexy. To be honest, when a womans looks fade, all she has is her brain.

Check out, Joan Rivers she has had more plastic surgery than would be thought possible, but she is a smart and witty character. And you know what, she still has a job.

Many people will argue that people like Bill Gates didnt go to school. Yup, your right, that guy dropped out of college. BUT He was a supercalifragilisticexpialidociously genius. And that doesnt give you the ok to miss out on some pretty rad experiences in college.

Quick Backstory:  My experience has been that I started my education late because I honestly I made the decision to be hot rather than finish my education. Now dont get me wrong, my experience lead me to be where I am today, but if I had the chance to do it all over again I would have finished my schooling prior to my irrational teenage thinking.

Not sorry kids, but getting your education and reading a book is far hotter than taking half naked selfies saying youre a model with your duck lips.

Rant Over.
 
Received my A.A. from Pierce College in 2012
 

No comments: