Thursday, July 9, 2015

Underwater Modeling

Photo Credit: Joe Stemmer

At times, some jobs I get for modeling can be either very easy to extremely demanding. Depending on the job, it can easy or difficult depending on the models personal skill set.
Joe Stemmer is a photographer based in Palm Desert, CA who had asked me to do an underwater shoot with him. I immediately said yes, and figured it would have been easy for me, since I felt I was in top shape and felt strong enough to not only do a shoot under water, but to do a shoot under water with Andrew MacLaine gowns on. Little did I know the demands were more than expected.

As I put on the flowing red gown, my first thought was, “this is going to have such a nice flow!” But once I went in the water, I felt and looked like a drowning long haired dog. Although, we were able to catch some great shots of the red flowing gown, I didn’t expect to almost die in the process. Anything for art.
Photo Credit: Joe Stemmer
As we started to get through some of the other outfits, my old high school swimming days started to kick in. I started to channel how I felt during practices putting on layers of nylons and 3 different bathing suits in order to make me a faster swimmer. I was always a natural athlete and I always challenged my body to incredible lengths to get the solutions I desired. With that said, once I started to channel that moment during our photo shoot under the water, my natural mermaid intentions kicked in and it got easier as the day went on.
“What if the water is cold?”
Photo Credit: Joe Stemmer
HA! This reminds me of the day Joe, Lauren (HT Sister), and I decided to shoot in Northridge on a chilly day in February. The pool was freezing and Lauren and I could maybe get one outfit out of the shoot, We felt our bodies being tortured in the cold pool and decided we had enough. Joe was a sport about it.

My suggestion to models considering to shoot under water shots would be to learn your environment before the actual shoot day. Practice at home or even practice holding your breath (without the squish face). I would also suggest start prepping for most pool temperatures and bring a towel, you never know when you’re gonna get cold.  

No comments: