Tuesday, July 7, 2015

What Seperates You?





Photo from Huff Post 

              At the Wella Hair Studios, I had the chance to step in front of the casting director and let her know I was able and willing to work as their model for an instructional video. Sitting patiently inside the audition waiting room reading up on the historical back ground of Wella, I would glance at the reflection of the glass case looking at my competition. They were all blonde and I was keeping my fingers that it would stay that way. Sure enough a wave of other brunettes came in and crushed my chances of being the one model they chose.
                As we all prepared to line up (as you would line up cows to be slaughtered for their best and worst parts), slight elbows were given as an indication to move out of each other’s way. At one point there was a silent stare down between two models (if looks could kills, there girls would have bled all over the floor).
                Once we lined up, in the matter of seconds the casting director picked one of us for the shoot (not me) and sent the rest of the 50 girls on their way. Some stomped away and the rest silently put their head down in disgrace as if they missed winning the decathlon by one point. I did something different. I walked out without taking it personal. What I am going to do is send a lovely thank you card to the casting director thanking them for their time and considerations.
                I don’t need to act like a diva, nor do I need to feel that rejection is something I deserve. “No” is just part of the industry. If girls keep pouting and whining, what make you think anyone wants to work with you? As models and professionals in anything, who are you to always be chosen? And if you haven’t been chosen, maybe it’s time to change your perspective and do something different. Many times I have taken the time to do follow up emails, and touch base. When I am at an event, I will make time to attempt to remember their name (internet is a wonderful thing) and make sure they remember mine. Go out of your way to be nice, trust me, it’s a lot more memorable.

No comments: